This guide covers the basics of translating the template.
If you downloaded localized version of WordPress, and you wish to translate the template to the same language – you can skip the “Setting up WordPress for translation” step
Setting up WordPress for translation
This step is only for people who downloaded the original English version from WordPress.org and despite that wish to use the template in other language.
To enable WordPress to load template language file:-
- Using your favorite text editor open file wp-config.php from your WordPress directory
- Locate the line: define (‘WPLANG’, ”);
- In the second quotes (next to WPLANG) please type in your language code ie. for Polish pl_PL, for Deutsch de_DE, for Italiano it_IT etc.
- Final result of line should look like: define (‘WPLANG’, ‘pl_PL’);
- Save the file
Complete lists of codes can be found at (country codes) and (language codes)
Translating the template
- Download the .po file editor such as POedit (multi-platform)
- Open the template_name.po file from the template directory (http://www.yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/template_name/)
- Click on a single phrase or sentence and type in your translation in the bottom of the POedit window
- Save the file using Save As and as a filename use your country and language code ie. for Polish pl_PL, for Deutsch de_DE, for Italiano it_IT etc.
If you want to you can share your translation with us so we could provide your language file to other users of WordPress Club here at RocketTheme.
Installing downloaded translation file for template
- Please check if your WordPress is set up to use the translation (see above)
- Copy your downloaded .mo translation file to the template directory (http://www.yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/template_name/)
Sharing your translation with RocketTheme
- After translating your .po file POedit also creates the .mo file which contains your encrypted translation
- Just send us your country_code.mo (depending on what language is your translation) file located in (http://www.yoursite.com/wp-content/themes/template_name/) and tell us for what country and what language is your translation